This is a view of the West Hill, Hastings. The prominence on the left is called ‘Ladies Parlour’ a flatish piece of ground that sits on top of sandstone cliffs that drop away to the sea. This ground was possibly part of the original Norman castle that was built as a motte and bailey in 1066 then rebuilt in stone in 1070. It is now separated from the castle by a ditch, which was apparently dug during the castle redevelopment in 1220. Since then the castle has been burnt by the French and bombed by the Germans. We have punished those crimes by charging their descendents (who visit the town in droves) exorbitant fees to visit the castle.
This picture has been taken from Ladies Parlour looking towards Hastings ‘new’ town and Beachy Head. The new town is actually the site of the former harbour, now long silted up. The castle is best pictured from the town, however this view does show what a commandingÂ postition it had. It remains one of the key visual features of the town.